Leather Care 101
Keep your Roots leather clean and looking its best for years to come. Protection puts an invisible, breathable barrier on the leather’s surface and prevents it from getting damaged. Once the leather is protected, it’s easier to care for as you’ll be cleaning the protective barrier—not the hide’s surface.
Choose A Leather Style To Learn More
Original leather goods have been at the heart of Roots since our inception, and to this day, our leather products remain largely a creation of human hands.
Since our founding, our Toronto leather factory has been operated by generations of family craftspeople. Our skilled team of leather artisans are the backbone of our leather products, and we are proud of the genuine handcrafted leather goods we make.
HOW TO CARE FOR IT:
- Wipe away everyday dirt and grime with a clean, damp cloth.To give your Tribe a refresh, pour an ample amount of cleaner onto a sponge.
- Scrub the entire surface in circular motions. Avoid spot cleaning, unless an inconsistent look and finish is your goal as the cleaner will darken the leather. Wipe the surface to remove any excess and let dry for 30 minutes.
- Add an extra layer of protection. Keeping a distance of 10-12”, spray evenly and let dry for at least one hour.
The best thing about a buttery soft leather is breaking it in, watching it age and that moment you start to see the shiny patina come through. But even the most supple leathers (like our Box, Nappa, Bridle, Prince leathers) need a little extra help.
HOW TO CARE FOR IT:
- Wipe away everyday dirt and grime with a clean, damp cloth.
- Pour an ample amount of our classic leather cleaner onto a sponge and scrub the entire surface in a circular motion.
- Wipe the surface with a clean cloth to remove any excess, and let dry for 30 minutes
- Apply protection cream with a soft cloth and wipe in a circular motion over the entire surface. This will guard off any future water, oil, or alcohol based stains.
- For recent ink or make-up stains, use our Ink Lifter to remove the mark by rubbing gently and wiping away with a clean cloth.
Repair Your Roots
EXTENDING THE LIFE OF YOUR LEATHER GOODS
Does your favourite Roots leather good need a repair? Bring it to any Roots store and we’ll assess if the item can be repaired and provide an estimate for the repair charge and time. Typically, repairs take 4 to 6 weeks. We send repairs to our leather factory in Toronto, Canada, where the item will receive the attention of our leather artisans. Once the item is repaired, it’s sent back to the store and ready for pick up.
Create Your Own
ROOTS CUSTOM LEATHER
Looking to design your very own Roots leather? Visit us in store at our Customization Workshop to create a custom Roots award jacket or leather bag. We are passionate about giving our customers exactly what they want, and we have our Toronto, Canada leather factory artisans ready to bring your designs to life.