- Contact Us
- Store Locator
- Shipping & Handling
- International Orders
- Pick up In Store
- Email Sign-Up
- Student Discount
- Payment Options
- Sales Tax & Pricing Policy
- Tracking Your Order
- Exchange & Return Policy
- Product Recall
- Sizing Chart
- Measuring Tips
- Care Instructions
- Leather Care 101
- Leather Warranty
- Roots Leather Care Products
- Product Ratings & Reviews
Updated: October 2, 2018
Roots takes our relationship with all our customers seriously, and this includes how we handle your personal information. Roots is committed to meeting the requirements of all relevant North American laws regarding privacy.
This Policy sets out the ways we collect, use and share your personal information.
This Policy addresses:
- 1. What is personal information?
- 2. How do we collect your personal information?
- 3. How do we use information about you?
- 4. With whom does Roots share your personal information?
- 5. Personalized banner / targeted advertising
- 7. Marketing choices
- 8. Withdrawing consent
- 9. What do we do to safeguard personal information?
- 10. Storage of US data in the US
- 11. How do we retain your personal information?
- 12. Links to other websites
- 13. Changes to this Policy
- 14. Access to your personal information
- 15. Concerns or questions
1. What is personal information?
Personal information is information about you, that can be used to identify you. When you interact with Roots, in store and online at Roots.com (the “Website”), we may collect personal information such as:
- your full name, age, date of birth and gender;
- your billing and delivery postal addresses, phone (including mobile phone)and e-mail details;
- where you have chosen to register a user account with us, your user name and password;
- your communication and shopping preferences;
- details regarding your browsing on our website and shopping activities;
- your interests, feedback and survey responses;
- information about the device on which you have accessed our website, including your IP address, operating system and browser type;
- your location; and
- any other correspondence with us.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
Personal information is primarily collected directly from you, such as information voluntarily provided to us through our website, mobile applications, social media channels or in store, and other means of communication. We may also collect personal information about you from your use of other Roots websites, social media networks (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp, Snapchat and Google) you participate in.
When you sign up to participate in a contest on We may also obtain personal information from public sources, third party service providers, individuals who have indicated you have agreed for them to provide your personal information, government, tax or law enforcement agencies and other third parties. For example, if you are on another website and you opt-in to receive information from Roots, that website may submit to us your email address and other information about you so that we may contact you as requested. You may also choose to participate in a third party application or feature (such as one of our Facebook or Twitter applications or a similar application or feature on a third party website) through which you allow us to collect (or the third party to share) information about you, such as details of your friends/connections, "likes", comments you have shared, groups and location. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third party website give us access to their profiles and your personal information is accessible through your friends'/connections´ web page, profile page, or similar page on a Social Media Channel or other third party website or interactive service.
We may supplement the information we collect about you directly with the information we receive from third parties in order to enhance our ability to serve you, to tailor our content to you and send you details of promotions and/or offers which we believe may be of interest to you. We sometimes receive personal information about other individuals from customers who wish to send our products as gifts. In these circumstances, we will use and store that personal information for the purpose of completing the customer’s order.
The Website is not intended for children under the age of 13 and Roots does not knowingly collect personal information from children in this age group.
3. How do we use information about you?
Roots will use your personal information for the purposes described in this policy or explained to you at the time it is collected. If we want to use your personal information for new or additional purposes, we will provide you with notice of these purposes and give you an opportunity to provide or withdraw your consent.
We may use your personal information in connection with the purposes for which you have provided it. This may include:
- when you make purchases or returns on our website, mobile applications, over the telephone or in-store;
- to respond and/or deal with your request or enquiry, including as a result of searches on our website;
- to enter you in contests and notify you of results if you have agreed to participate in such contests;
- to administer our website, mobile applications and social media networksand personalize content for you;
- for internal record keeping;
- to provide direct or other marketing;
- to record and update your marketing preferences;
- to personalize offers, promotions and advertising provided to you based on our understanding of your browsing and shopping habits or purchase history;
- to register you for certain features on our website;
- to assess, improve and tailor our products and services to you; and
- where necessary as part of any restructuring of Roots or sale of our business or assets.
We may also use your personal information for other business purposes including management analysis, audit, forecasting, business planning and transactions, ensuring our compliance with applicable laws, regulatory requirements, and dealing with legal claims and related administrative activities and related records retention requirements. We may also use your personal information as required or permitted by law enforcement, other government agency requests or court orders.
We may anonymise your personal information and use it as part of aggregated non personal information for research, statistical and other purposes (such as improving our website, products and services) or measuring the effectiveness of our advertising.
In addition, we may hire service providers to perform services on our behalf, such as such as advertising and marketing, software, couriers and payment services. These service providers may use your personal information for the purposes set out in this Policy including, for example, to complete your order or enable offers, advertising or other promotional activity about our products and services to be provided to you, or to provide you with aftercare services. We will provide these service providers with only the information necessary for them to provide the services to Roots. Roots prohibits service providers from using or disclosing personal information for purposes other than to facilitate and carry out those services. We will strive to protect personal information disclosed to them by contractual agreements requiring that they adhere to applicable privacy laws, confidentiality and security procedures and protections that are, at a minimum, equivalent to those employed by Roots.
4. With whom does Roots share your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties as follows:
- with your consent;
- government authorities, law enforcement and regulatory authorities where required or permitted by law;
- for debt collection purposes;
- for loss and fraud prevention purposes; and
- other entities (including actual or prospective buyers and our affiliates) in the event that Roots is involved in a bankruptcy, merger, reorganization or sale of any of its businesses and/or assets.
5. Personalized banner/targeted advertising
It is worth noting that the social media networks who may provide advertising about our products and services to you may also process some of your personal information in their own capacity (for example when carrying out their own targeted advertising). Roots is not responsible for the processing of your personal information by any social media networks, when acting in their own capacity and not as a service provider to Roots. Therefore, please refer to the privacy policies of the relevant Social Media Channels for further details on how your personal information will be used by them.
7. Marketing Choices
From time to time, Roots will send you special offers and announcements by email, post, telephone, text message, through social media networks, or other means. You can unsubscribe from receiving these offers at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the message you’ve received or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have asked us to stop sending marketing offers via e-mail or text message and this hasn't happened, it may be because the email address or phone number to which we are sending them is not the same as the address or number you sent your request from. Please check the address we are using and include this information in your request. The easiest way to do this is to return to us the whole of the unwanted email. If you still experience problems please contact the Roots Privacy Office.
8. Withdrawing Consent
You may choose to withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information at any time, unless legal or contractual reasons prevent you from doing so. However, if you withdraw your consent, we may be unable to offer or provide you with certain goods and services.
If you would like to withdraw your consent or modify your preferences, please contact the Roots Privacy Office.
9. What do we do to safeguard personal information?
We have instituted safeguards to check that our internal procedures meet our stated policies. We also use all efforts reasonably necessary to be sure that our service providers agree to protect personal information that they must access in order to provide those services. Internally, we limit access to personal information about you to only those employees who need that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone, not to reuse passwords for different accounts, and to notify us if you believe your password has been compromised.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our website and/or social medial channels. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
10. Storage of US data in the US
11. How do we retain your personal information?
You agree that we are not liable to you in any way for removing, retaining, or failing to remove or retain any of your information or content and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, you waive all claims against us and release us from all liability in connection with any of our acts or omissions in regard to your information and content.
12. Links to other Websites
We may offer links to third party websites. However, we are not responsible for the content or information collection policies of third party websites. If you visit a third party website, we advise you to review their privacy and other policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to the third party websites.
13. Changes to this Policy
14. Access to your personal information
We respect your right to access and correct your personal information. If you wish to update your personal information, please contact the Roots Privacy Office.
If you are a California resident and have an established business relationship with us, you can request a notice disclosing the categories of personal information we have shared with third parties, for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, during the preceding calendar year. To request a notice, please submit your request to Roots, Attn: Roots Privacy Office, 1400 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto ON M6B 4C4 Canada. Please allow 30 days for a response.
If you are a California resident under 18 years old and you have registered for an account through the Website, you can request that we remove content or information that you have posted to our Websites. Note that fulfilment of the request may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal (e.g., if the content or information has been reposted by another user). To request removal of content or information, please email email@example.com or call +1 416 781 3574.
15. Concerns or Questions
If you have any questions, wish to access, update or delete information, wish to opt out of receiving future communications, or have questions about this Policy, please contact us online at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at Roots Canada 1400 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto, ON M6B 4C4 attn: Roots Privacy Office.