Back To School Challenge 2020
- Contact Us
- Store Locator
- Shipping & Handling
- International Orders
- Pick up In Store
- Email Sign-Up
- Payment Options
- Sales Tax & Pricing Policy
- Tracking Your Order
- Exchange & Return Policy
- Product Recall
- Sizing Chart
- Measuring Tips
- Care Instructions
- Leather Care 101
- Leather Warranty
- Roots Leather Care Products
- Product Ratings & Reviews
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
1. SPONSOR: The Roots Back to School Challenge (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Roots Corporation, 1400 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M6B 4C4 (“Sponsor”). Not sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
2. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to legal Canadian residents who are at least 13 years of age at the time of entry. In the case of individuals between the age of 13 and the age of majority in their province or territory of residence, if they win this Contest, such individual’s parent or legal guardian must consent to these rules and their child’s entry in the Contest by completing, signing and returning Sponsor’s Winner Release (as described herein). Employees of the Sponsor, its representatives or mandataries, its parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, departments or agencies, franchisees, suppliers, partners, advertising and promotional agencies, Contest administrators, members of the jury, and any other parties engaged in the development, production or distribution of Contest materials and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are ineligible to enter this Contest or win the prize. For purposes of the Contest, "immediate family members" shall mean parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. By participating in this Contest, entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, acknowledge compliance with, and agree to be bound by, these Contest Rules. Entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, who do not comply with any of these Contest Rules are subject to disqualification by the Sponsor, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
3. CONTEST DESCRIPTION: The Contest begins on August 3, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. EDT and ends on August 25, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT (“Contest Period”).
The Contest Period will be divided as follows:
- a “Submission Period” beginning on August 3, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. EDT and ending on August 17, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT;
- a “Judging Period” running concurrently with the Submission Period, ending August 18, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. EDT;
- a “Finalist Vetting Period” running from on or about August 18, 2020 at 9:01 a.m. EDT to August 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. EDT; and
- a “Public Voting Period” beginning on or about August 18 at 6:00 p.m. EDT and ending on August 25, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
This Contest provides eligible entrants with the opportunity to upload an original video of themselves showing different personalities of people during their first day of school while wearing their favorite Roots product(s) (the “Entry Video”) or mail-in of artwork (e.g., drawing, animation, graphic) depicting different personalities of people during their first day of school after summer (“Entry Artwork”), as more fully set forth below. During the Judging Period, representatives of the Sponsor will select five (5) Entry Videos and/or Entry Artwork to proceed to the Public Voting Period as “Finalists” wherein the five (5) Finalists will be posted on Sponsor’s TikTok feed where users will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite by following @roots TikTok account and liking the Finalist’s Entry Video or Entry Artwork to determine one (1) winner, as more fully set forth below.
4. HOW TO ENTER: Entrants can enter this Contest by doing all of the following:
- Create a video of you showing different personalities of people during your first day of school while wearing your favorite Roots Product(s) (“Entry Video”); and
- Post your Entry Video on your TikTok account and tag @Roots (the “Tag”) using the hashtags #RootsBackToSchool and #Contest (the “Required Hashtags”) before 11:59 p.m. EDT on August 17, 2020.
All Entry Videos submitted by entrants, in the case of multiple entries, must be different. The same Entry Video may not be submitted more than once. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant that submits the same Entry Video more than once
No Purchase Required Alternative Means of Entry. To enter without purchasing a Roots product, email-in artwork (e.g., a drawing, animation or graphic) depicting different personalities of people during your first day of school after summer (“Entry Artwork”) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with #RootsBackToSchool, Roots Back to School Challenge, which must be received by the Sponsor before 11:59 p.m. EDT on August 17, 2020. All Entry Artwork submitted by entrants, in the case of multiple entries, must be different. The same Entry Artwork may not be submitted more than once. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant that submits the same Entry Artwork more than once.
Entry Video and Entry Artwork Submission Rules
All Entry Videos and Entry Artwork are subject to the following rules:
- Entry Video/Entry Artwork must be responsive to the call-to-action, the original work of the entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
- Entrants grant the Sponsor an exclusive and irrevocable license to use their Entry Video/Entry Artwork for the administration of this Contest and in any advertising, marketing or publicity, without notice or compensation, as may be edited, modified or translated in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. All entrants also waive any moral rights they may have or claim in relation to their Entry Video/Entry Artwork.
- If an Entry Video/Entry Artwork contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Entry Video/Entry Artwork, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Entry Video/Entry Artwork by Sponsor in tshe manner set forth in these Official Rules, including, without limitation, name and likeness permissions from any person who appears in or is identifiable in the Entry Video/Entry Artwork. Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor from any entrant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render entry null and void
- The Sponsor may determine, in its sole discretion, whether or not to accept any Entry Video/Entry Artwork and whether it will use any Entry Video/Entry Artwork for any purpose, including for participation in this Contest or in any marketing or publicity.
- All Entry Videos must include the Tag and Required Hashtags and must be in compliance with TikTok’s Community Guidelines available at https://www.tiktok.com/safety/resources/new-community-guidelines.
- Entry Videos/Entry Artwork cannot be any of the following, all of which shall be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion:
- Sexually explicit or suggestive, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or describe any dangerous activity.
- Promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that are unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message.
- Obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group.
- Defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about the Sponsor or their products or other people, products or companies. Contain trademarks, logos or intellectual property or content owned by 3rd parties or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind.
- Contain copyrighted materials owned by third parties.
- Refer to the name of any person without permission from that person for you and the Sponsor to reproduce it. Reproduce, whether by video, photograph or any other means, the image of any person without permission for you and the Sponsor to reproduce it.
- Communicate messages inconsistent with the purpose of this Contest.
No entry limit. For entrants on TikTok, all entries must be entered manually and must be different than any other entries submitted. Automated entries are prohibited, and any use of automated devices will result in disqualification. Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed, or otherwise, illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple accounts, identities, or registrations, all in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify you from entering, participating and/or winning a prize.
All entrants understand and agree that they are entering and participating in this Contest, including their posted Entry Video/Entry Artwork, at their sole risk. Sponsor is not responsible for any claims arising from any entry, post, Entry Video, Entry Artwork, comment or other participation in this Contest, including, but not limited to, claims for intellectual property infringement and privacy rights violations, defamation or any violation of any social media site’s terms and conditions.
In the event a dispute regarding the identity of the individual who actually submitted an entry cannot be resolved to Sponsor’s satisfaction, in its sole discretion, the affected entry will be deemed ineligible. The Sponsor shall not be responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of the entries in the Contest. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility or liability for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries. Incomplete entries will be disqualified. Proof of posting an Entry Video or submitting Entry Artwork is not considered proof of delivery to or receipt by Sponsor of such entry.
Entries that are incomplete or generated by script, macro or other automated or mechanical means, that have been submitted through illicit means or by any means which subvert the entry process or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions set out in the Official Rules will be void. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same TikTok account.
5. JUDGING PERIOD: During the Judging Period, a panel of judges, consisting of representatives of Sponsor, will review the eligible entries and select five (5) potential finalists (each, a “Finalist” and collectively, the “Finalists”). The potential Finalists will be selected based on the following judging criteria: originality – 33%; creativity – 33%; compliance with theme – 34%. In the event of a tie, the tied entrants will be re-judged by an additional judge who will serve as a tie-breaker using the same criteria as outlined above.
6. FINALIST VETTING PERIOD: The potential Finalists will be notified by direct message via Tik Tok, a comment on their Entry Video/Entry Contest post or by e-mail in the case of Entry Artwork entries. Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason. If, despite reasonable efforts, a potential winner does not respond within four (4) hours, (or a shorter time if required by exigencies, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion) of the first notification attempt, such potential Finalist will forfeit his or her status as a Finalist and an alternate potential Finalist will be selected based on the aforementioned judging results. If any potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines to proceed in the Contest for any reason prior to the Public Voting Period, such potential Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate potential Finalist will be selected based on the aforementioned judging results. All potential Finalists must complete the Sponsor’s declaration of eligibility and a liability/publicity release (collectively, the “Winner Release”) as directed by Sponsor prior to proceeding to the Public Voting Period. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than five (5) Finalists to progress to the Public Voting Period for any reason.
7. PUBLIC VOTING PERIOD: During the Public Voting Period, the five (5) confirmed Finalists’ Entry Videos/Entry Artwork will be featured on the Sponsor’s TikTok (www.tiktok.com/@roots) wherein eligible members of the public will be invited to vote for their favorite Entry Video/Entry Artwork by following @roots on TikTok and liking the video or essay. Each like counts as one (1) vote. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If the Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that any entrant has received more than one (1) vote from the same person, whether by multiple votes, software, script or other automatic means, setting up multiple Tik Tok or social media accounts or any other means whatsoever, the Sponsor may disqualify that entrant from this Contest. Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, the Entry Video/Entry Artwork that receives the highest number of “votes”, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, will be deemed the potential winner, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. In the event of a tie among two (2) Entry Videos/Entry Artwork or more, Sponsor will conduct a random drawing from among the tied Entry Videos/Entry Artwork to select the winner.
8. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: The Finalist with the most votes received by August 25, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. will be selected as a potential prize winner by the Sponsor on August 26, 2020 at 12:00 p.m EDT at 1400 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M6B 4C4. At the end of the Public Voting Period, the potential prize winner will be notified by telephone and/or mail and/or e-mail, using the contact information provided or collected at the time of Finalist verification. Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason. If, despite reasonable efforts, a potential winner does not respond within eight (8) hours of the first notification attempt, or if the prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to such potential winner, such potential winner will forfeit his or her prize and an alternate winner with the subsequent to most votes will be selected from the pool of Finalists. If any potential prize winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines the prize for any reason prior to award, such potential prize winner will be disqualified and an alternate prize winner may be selected.
9. CONTEST PRIZE: There is one (1) prize available to be won consisting of one (1) $1,000 Roots gift card. The prize must be accepted as awarded. Neither the prize, nor any portion thereof, can be combined with other discounts, promotions or special offers. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is unavailable at time of award, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (the “RACJ”) for Quebec legal residents.
10. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received before the end of the Submission Period and your skill creating an Entry Video or Entry Artwork.
11. RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION: The winner and Finalists (and such winner or Finalist’s parent/legal guardian on his/her behalf should such winner be less than the age of majority in his/her province or territory of residence) shall be required to sign and return the Sponsor’s Declaration of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release (the “Winner Release”), releasing the Sponsor, its departments and agencies, parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, franchisees, advertising and promotional agencies, counsel, marketing partners, TikTok and Facebook and Instagram, Twitter and each of their respective directors, officers, mandataries, employees, shareholders, successors, sponsors, partners, licensees, subsidiaries, agents, artists, advisors, assignees, and all others associated with the administration, development and execution of the Contest (the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all manner of action, cause of action, claim or demand, loss or injury, use or misuse of a prize or any travel related thereto, and the use of the entry by the Sponsor, suit, debt, covenant, contract, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, (except for material injury caused by an intentional or gross fault if winner is a resident of Quebec), breach of contract and fundamental breach, failure of any third party contractor or supplier used in connection with any aspect of the Contest to perform or deliver any goods or services, any act of God or any other event beyond the Released Parties’ control, any dissatisfaction of any kind by a winner with any aspect of the Contest or any prize, liability for physical injury, or property damage which the entrants, guests, their heirs, successors or assigns have, might have or could have suffered, by reason of or arising out of an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the entrant of the prize as awarded; and indemnify the Released Parties against any loss, damage or expense, including legal fees, that any of the Released Parties may suffer or incur in connection with any claim or demand by any third party, including any third party referred to or depicted in any entry, or as a result of any non-compliance by an entrant with any of the Contest Rules or participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by an entrant of a prize and the use of the Contest entry by the Sponsors.
Entrants disclaim all liability for any of the following that may limit or prevent any entrant’s participation in the Contest or that could prevent the selection of the winner: malfunctioning of any computer component, software or communications line; loss or lack of a communications network; and any transmission that is faulty, incomplete, incomprehensible or erased by any computer or network. The Released Parties also disclaim all liability for any damages or loss that may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by the downloading of any web page or software or other, and by the transmission of any information related to participation in the Contest.
12. OTHER CONDITIONS:
Publicity and entrant information: By participating in this Contest, entrants (and any entrant’s parent/legal guardian on his/her behalf should such entrant be less than the age of majority in his/her province or territory of residence) consent to the use of their name, address, e-mail address, postal code, telephone number, social media handles, comments and image, whether on videotape, photograph or any other means and biographical information and Entry Video or Entry Artwork, all as may be edited, translated or modified in any way by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, for the administration of this Contest or any publicity carried out by the Sponsor, without further notice or compensation.
Law: The Contest is void where prohibited by law and subject to all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and local laws. For residents of Quebec, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the RACJ for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. This Contest shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario (in Quebec, subject to RACJ’s mandatory input), including all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Contest Rules, rights and obligations between entrants and the Sponsor, and procedural provisions, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. Any dispute shall be adjudicated by the courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario.
Rule amendments: The Sponsor reserves the right, subject to the approval of the RACJ, to amend these Contest Rules, or modify, cancel or suspend this Contest, without prior notice for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation in the event that any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor corrupts, or threatens to corrupt, the security or proper administration of the Contest. If the Contest is terminated before the designated end date, subject to the approval of the RACJ, the Sponsor will (if possible) select another winner(s) in a random drawing from all eligible entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination of this Contest. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances.
Intellectual Property: All intellectual property, including but not limited to trademarks, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, images, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Sponsor. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or other intellectual property without the express written consent of the Sponsor is strictly prohibited.
Acceptance of the prize:The prize must be accepted as described in these Contest Rules and may not, in any case, be in whole or in part transferred to another person or exchanged for another prize or for cash, other than as provided by these Contest Rules.
© Roots Corporation 2020. All Rights Reserved.